Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Book Reviews

Recently the New York Times reviewed two books that I'd bought and read (Katie Nicholl's William & Harry: Behind the Palace Walls and Deborah Duchess of Devonshire's memoir Wait For Me!) as well as a book that I requested for Christmas and look forward to reading (Thomas B. Allen's Tories: Fighting for the King in America's First Civil War). Nicholl's book was entertaining but some bold assertions and implausible claims (such as the one that Lady Diana Spencer "vividly remembered" her parents fighting over the lack of a male heir despite the fact that she was only 2 when her brother Charles was born) made it hard for me to take seriously. I loved the Duchess of Devonshire's memoir, though I would have to agree with the reviewer that it had its occasional tedious moments.

Here is a brief interview with Deborah Devonshire (via Gareth Russell).

No comments: