Monday, November 2, 2015

Poppies

Many of my British and Commonwealth royalist friends are deeply devoted to the poppy tradition, and I respect that. Certainly it is good to remember the men who gave their lives for King & Country. If I lived in Britain I would wear a poppy when appropriate. However, partly because as a pan-monarchist I am unable to regard 1918 and 1945 (especially 1918) as unqualified "Victories," there is something about the conformism of it all that bothers me, and I think Peter Hitchens puts his finger on it here, while making it clear that he himself is deeply moved by Remembrance Day and what it represents. Given that the two World Wars, for all the undoubted courage of British and Commonwealth soldiers, ended up damaging or destroying virtually everything genuine traditionalists believe in, should there not be room on the Right for tolerance of anti-war perspectives?

1 comment:

Matthew Celestine said...

I feel exactly the same way. I am very glad you think so.

I don't like the way people are bullied into wearing poppies or the way politicians compete to be seen wearing them.