Sunday, April 22, 2018

History

It has been fashionable lately to bemoan Americans', especially young Americans', ignorance of the Holocaust. But there's so much ignorance of history in general that I don't see these statistics as particularly surprising. I daresay that Americans, even millennials, still know more about the Holocaust than they do about many other historical topics, about which they know nothing at all. In fact as a classical musician and as one who loves the authentic Germany of many centuries before 1918, I resent it that most bookstores' "Germany" history shelves tend to be dominated by books about the Nazis, as if 1933-45 were the only twelve years in all of German history that matter.

However little millennials know about Nazi atrocities, I bet they know even less about numerically greater Communist atrocities, which is why the work of the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation (even if I disagree with its Americanist orientation) is so important. So yes, history education needs to be improved, but in all areas, not just this area. I was lucky in that I had an excellent 9th grade world history teacher, and read a lot on my own, but many were probably not that fortunate, and why do high schools require only one year of non-US history?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WHY IS THE US HISTORY TAUGHT TODAY DEVOID OF FOCUS ON THE DECLARATION, THE CONSTITUTION, AND THE BILL OF RIGHTS? ON THE ROLE AND TREATMENT OF LOYALISTS? WHILE REPLETE WITH EVERY POSSIBLE PERSONAL FOIBLE, SCANDAL, CALUMNY, OR TOR HISTORICAL "FACTS" SURROUNDING THE FOUNDERS AND THEIR CONTINUED STRIVING TO ACHIEVE EQUAL TREATMENT BEFORE THE LAW AND THE FRANCHISE FOR ALL AMERICAN CITIZENS....

NOT PERFECT BUT WAY BETTER THAN ALL THE REST, AND WORTH OF PROPER STUDY ANALYSIS AND APPRECIATION FOR ITS EXCEPTIONAL HISTORICAL CHARACTER AND POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY OF LIMITED GOVERNMENT

TODAY'S HIGH SCHOOLERS HAVEN'T A CLUE ABOUT THE FOREGOING, NOR ABOUT THE AMAZING AND WORLD HISTORY CHANGING PATRIOTISM OF THE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS WHO ANSWERED THE CALL TO DEFEND FREEDOM IN WW I AND WW II, MANY OF WHOM PAID THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE

POPPY DAY? CLUELESS.


THEY HAVE LEARNED NEITHER THE ESSENTIAL CONCEPTS OF OF OUR FORM OF GOVERNMENT NOR DO THEY KNOW THE MAJOR RELEVANT FACTS OR THE NAMES OF THE ACTORS WHO FORGED OUR NATION'S HISTORY.

SINCE THE KNOWN NO GEOGRAPHY, THEY ARE NATURALLY CLUELESS ABOUT EUROPE, THE HISTORY AND LITERATURE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION, OR WORLD HISTORY WRIT LARGE.....O TEMPORA, O MORES!















JAMES I W CORCORAN,ESQ, (HARVARD '63, HLS '66, HLS '67) SMD (GOV. WM BRADFORD), UEL


http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/about-the-collections#

Phillip Allen said...

Few Months ago i went for a check up in the hospital, the doctor took my blood for test and told me to come after 3 days for the results, after 3 days passed i went back to the hospital for the results,and it was then the doctor told me that i was diagnosed with HIV virus.
On that very day i was left with no happiness and everything in life became meaningless to me, i began to think on how i could get rid of this virus from my body, i decided to go on internet and do some research, while i was surfing the internet i came across some good testimonials on how Dr Idahosa has been using his herbal medicine to treat and save different patients from various diseases and infections, i also saw someone who was commenting on how she was cured from HIV with the medicine.
To me i never believed in them, that was the first time to come across something like that, i just decided to try it out if it did really worked!
They gave the contact details of Dr Idahosa and i copied his email and later that night i sent him a message concerning my health.
He later gave me a response and then we talked about the medicine and he said to me he was going to send the medicine to my home address and that he needed my address of where i reside.
I sent him all he requested for in other to get the medicine ready for me, and after 3 days i received a mail from the Post Office and to my surprised it was the herbal medicine from Dr Idahosa.
He explained to me on how i was to take the medicine, he said i was to take 2 times daily for 14 days, i followed exactly as i was told, before he sent me the medicine he said that i should go for check up after finish drinking the medicine, so after i finished the medicine i went back to the hospital for check up and to my greatest surprise again i was told that i am negative, i know someone would not believed this, but it did happened to a brother like me, i have always dreamed of living in good health again, thank god everything went well for me and thank god for Dr Idahosa Miracle Healing Medicine, you can reach Dr Idahosa at { dridahosasolutioncenter@gmail.com } or call his whatssap on +2348134261542, friends this man has a cure to all human disease, do not believe in medical drugs, let try some Natural Remedy.
Forever remain grateful Doc....