Friday, March 4, 2016

Romanian king ill

I am saddened to learn of 94-year-old King Michael's cancer diagnosis, but even sadder that Romania has failed to restore him to his throne when he was healthier during the two and a half decades that have elapsed since his first return.  I am so tired of waiting for Europeans to come to their senses, do the right thing, and restore their Kings. Tired of the squandering of opportunity after 1989. Now it may be too late. Is there any hope anywhere? Why do people accept republicanism? I sure don't, and I never will.

This is what happened in 1990 (I was 12 years old) when King Michael, who is now seriously ill, returned to Romania for the first time since his illegal and invalid 1947 "abdication." Makes me sick to my stomach. How DARE those impudent politicians accuse His Majesty of entering the country "illegally"? It was THEIR government that was and is illegal! He was and is their KING and they should have bowed down and begged his forgiveness. And that goes for Montenegro, Albania, Serbia, and Bulgaria too. The fact that the Balkan monarchies have not been restored since the alleged fall of Communism more than 25 years ago is the single greatest political disappointment of my lifetime.




8 comments:

Michael E. said...

I'm praying for His Majesty.

I'm always amazed at how short history really is when looked at in a monarchical way--he was the very king who was deposed, and he was king before World War II, and he's still alive!

Out of curiosity, may I ask why specifically it's the Balkan nations not restoring their monarchies that's your greatest disappointment?

Theodore Harvey said...

Of course I am sad about the other monarchies too. What's specific to the Balkans is that it was within my lifetime that Communism fell and the restoration of Balkan monarchies in the 1990s seemed like a real possibility, but the momentum was deliberately thwarted.

Michael E. said...

Of course--I never doubted that--I just wondered why the specific focus on the Balkans since I wasn't as aware of them as you are.

Ah, I see. Now you've got me curious about this time when the restoration of their monarchies seemed like a real possibility--The Mad Monarchist did a blog about how Archduke Otto von Habsburg came close to being restored to his throne in the 1930's.

Also now I'm wondering what the monarchical situation was in Europe between the World Wars--do you have that on your site?

God bless!

Jew613 said...

The elites that rule do not want the monarchies restored as that would reduce their standing if a King even a constitutional one existed. They are lowly men who cannot stand the thought of greatness as it exposes their smallness.

Theodore Harvey said...

Here are a couple of my pages about interwar Europe:

http://www.royaltymonarchy.com/sovereigns/1924.html

http://www.royaltymonarchy.com/sovereigns/1936E.html

Michael E. said...

@Theodore Harvey: Thanks! But what about Albania in 1924? Was that not a monarchy at the time?

Theodore Harvey said...

Nominally, sort of, but without a monarch. Prince Wilhelm of Wied only reigned for a few months in 1914, leaving the country after the outbreak of World War I. They muddled through with neither a monarch nor a republic for eleven years. Albania was proclaimed a republic in 1925, but then Ahmed Bey Zogu proclaimed himself modern Albania's first and so far only ruling King in 1928, reigning de facto until 1939 when Italy invaded.

Michael E. said...

Ah, I see. Thanks for the information.