Saturday, April 11, 2009

Baptism


Tonight, in a glorious and moving Easter Vigil at the Church of the Incarnation in Dallas, I was baptized into the Christian faith by the Rector, Bishop Anthony Burton, and confirmed as an Anglican by the Bishop Suffragan of Dallas, Paul Lambert. I am happy to be officially counted among the world's 77 million Anglicans and two billion Christians.

In addition to my friends at Incarnation, especially my wonderful sponsors Jason and Monica Awbrey and Bishop Burton, I would like to acknowledge two particular influences on my decision to embrace Anglican Christianity: the webcasts of New York's Saint Thomas Church, and the writings of Peter Hitchens. It's also worth noting that my father Jay Harvey was brought up in the Episcopal Church, his own father Richard W. Harvey (1911-1974) having been assistant organist at St. Thomas (1944-46) and subsequently organist at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Flint, Michigan. So in a sense I have come home.

Here I am afterwards with my sponsors and the bishops (also above, though for some reason the blog version is cutting out Jason) and here with Curate Fr. Matthew Olver.

5 comments:

Viola said...

That's lovely, Theodore. I'm very happy for you! Blessings and Happy Easter!

Aaron Traas said...

Congratulations, Theodore. May God bless you and keep you.

Монархистичка Иницијатива said...

Congratulations, Mr. Harvey. God bless you!

Anonymous said...

You are cleansed of Original Sin! Congratulations!

A. M. said...

God bless you as you take upon yourself the yoke of Christ in submission to the Kings of kings!