Monday, October 5, 2009

Queen "appalled" by current Church of England?

This Telegraph article is interesting, though more speculative than factual. I do recall reading that Anglican modernists have criticised Her Majesty for apparently preferring to worship (as do I) at services conducted in traditional Prayer Book language by an all-male clergy, and her son Prince Charles (who the bishop who baptised me once met at a Prayer Book Society gathering) is known for his support of the 1662 liturgy. However the Queen has always struck me as a very Protestant sort of Anglican, not at all Anglo-Catholic, and indeed the clearest evidence the article presents of her dissatisfaction with the current state of the Church of England is a sympathetic but noncommittal response to conservative evangelicals. Nevertheless I'm sure the Queen will be a gracious hostess to the Pope, as she always is.

No comments: