Saturday, January 23, 2010

Heir to the Throne

When I was 12 (1990-91), inspired by Robert K. Massie's book, I had ambitions of composing a musical, Nicholas and Alexandra, about the Romanovs. I never finished it, but wrote a number of songs. My favorite was probably the one for Tsarevich Alexei, "Heir to the Throne." After my voice changed and I couldn't sing it anymore, my younger brother sang it a few times. But since his voice changed (in the mid 1990s) it hadn't been sung by anyone for about 14 years until last month when a young member of the choir of St Mark's School of Texas (with which I sing monthly Evensongs and went to England last summer) agreed to record it. I am grateful to Weston for singing and to his older brother Landon for filming.

"Heir to the Throne" (1991)
Weston Blair, treble
Theodore Harvey, piano
December 21, 2009
Dallas, Texas

No comments: