Monday, August 16, 2021

Don Foreman (1948-2021)

I am deeply saddened by the death of cancer on Friday 13 August of my friend Don Foreman, former secretary general of the International Monarchist League. Don, who lived in Royal Tunbridge Wells, was one of the first monarchists I ever corresponded with, starting in 1999 when I was following the Australian referendum and he published my first article on the subject, "Why I am a Monarchist," in the league's newsletter. We first met in person at the Queen's Golden Jubilee in London in 2002, my first trip to the UK, long before Facebook connected me with anyone else there. This photo was taken in Canterbury in 2011 when my choir from Dallas was on tour there. Passionately committed to monarchist unity and support of the world's diverse monarchies regardless of potentially divisive factors such as religion or race, he consistently stayed well informed of relevant developments all over the world. During his time as secretary general (1991-2002), the IML, founded in 1943, became more visible in the media than either before or since. I'd had no idea he was ill. We hadn't been in touch much recently, though he'd sent me a meme making fun of a certain Oprah interview in March. May he rest in peace.



No comments: