Thursday, March 3, 2011

The King's Speech revisited

I still think The King's Speech was a good film and maintain that movies based on history are not obliged to be strictly "accurate" in every respect. Nevertheless I appreciate its leading right-wing critic (who happens to be the brother of its leading left-wing critic) taking the time to respond in depth to me on his blog. I will admit that Peter Hitchens does make me wonder if some monarchists (including myself) might have been too quick to unequivocally embrace the movie. Yet I also felt that Oscar-winning screenwriter David Seidler (a former stammerer himself) made a good case for his work, whatever Christopher Hitchens says. Certainly no other recent film, not even The Queen, has provoked as much serious discussion of the British monarchy in the 20th century.

No comments: