Monday, June 17, 2013

Wisdom from Lord Nelson

A recently auctioned letter from Britain's greatest naval hero reveals his thoughts about monarchies and republics, with which this blog heartily concurs.

"I hate rebels, I hate traitors, I hate tyranny come from where it will. I have seen much of the world, and I have learnt from experience to hate and detest republics. There is nothing but tyranny & oppression, I have never known a good act done by a Republican, it is contrary to his character under the mask of Liberty. He is a tyrant, a many headed monster that devours your happiness and property. Nothing is free from this monster's grasp. A republic has no affection for its subjects. A King may be ill advised and act wrong, a Republic never acts right, for a knot of villains support each other, and together they do what no single person dare attempt."

1 comment:

Matěj Čadil said...

It almost seems as if he knew current political situation in the Czech Republic... :-) But apparently it has always been this way.