Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Thoughts on the attack in Paris

I support Muslim monarchies (with the possible exception of Saudi Arabia), enjoyed my 2013 visit to the UAE and Afghanistan where I met some wonderful young people who are at least nominal Muslims, and am an admirer of HRH Charles, Prince of Wales, who has made dialogue between Christians and Muslims a top priority. At the same time I have little love for secularism or for what the modern West has become since largely turning its back on its own faith and its own kings. For all these reasons and more I have tried to resist endorsing overly reductionist or hostile responses to the complex tensions between Islam and the West. But it is getting increasingly difficult to maintain that the anti-Islamic European "Far Right" are entirely wrong. Frankly I don't feel like much of a plural-traditionalist pan-monarchist today. Perhaps it is time to rally unequivocally to the West, not to the degenerate false "West" birthed by the French Revolution and enthralled with "Equality & Diversity," but rather to the true West of Charles Martel, Pope Urban II, Richard the Lionheart, St. Ferdinand III, St. Louis IX, Ferdinand & Isabella, Don Juan of Austria, Padre Marco d'Aviano, and Jan Sobieski. In the absence of such leaders, perhaps Marine Le Pen (as much as I oppose the French Republic in principle) will do.

2 comments:

Ponocrates said...

I'm completely with you. I mostly love European traditions as attenuated as they are today. Just as I would expect the Japanese to be mostly concerned with Japanese traditions, etc.

The problem lies chiefly not with Muslims, but with Europeans who have so much self-loathing for their own traditions and people that they will allow themselves to be conquered by an alien religion and culture who completely lack self-doubt or the will to defend their own. It's pathetic and we will lose if things don't change.

Michael E. said...

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate question to ask here, but do you know of any place to find the party platform of the Front National in English online?